WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The core is made up of the muscles of the abdominals, lower back and hip flexors.
- These muscles all work together to improve posture.
- Practicing yoga is an excellent method of strengthening your core muscles.
Everyone talks about the body’s “core,” but what does that really refer to? Your core is made up of all the muscles in your abdominal region, lower back and hip flexors. When body fat is low enough, those glorious abdominal muscles peep through revealing the six-pack, hence all the interest in developing this area.
However, there is good reason to work your core beyond aesthetics: a well-developed core helps us excel in other physical endeavors and makes us feel tall, strong and empowered.
To build your core, use these 10 yoga poses. Perform as often as possible and challenge yourself to reap the biggest benefits!
- Tabletop with arm/ leg extended
- Plank with one leg lifted
- Plank with nose to knee
- Crow pose
- Half boat or full boat pose
- Chair pose
- Twisted root
- Bridge with one leg lifted
Original Article: 10 Poses for a Strong Core, mindbodygreen.com, 12/8/15