If your glass is half-empty, we’ll show you how to make it half-full. Positivity, has a drastic impact on your physical and mental health.
Start by accumulating “micro-moments of positivity”, which will foster positive feelings and can improve your physical and mental health, while providing a buffer against stress and depression. This theory was developed by Barbara Fredrickson, a psychologist at the University of North Carolina.
8 ways to Foster Positive Emotions Through Micro-Moments
- Do good things for other people – Try performing a simple task daily for another person.
- Appreciate the world around you – go outside, breathe in the air, and take in the beauty of nature. Or take a dive into the arts.
- Develop and bolster relationships – build stronger connections with your friends and family. Give a co-worker a chance.
- Establish goals that can be accomplished – Be realistic and use “SMART” goals. They must be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time bound.
- Learn something new – read a new book, take lessons, maybe a new hobby.
- Choose to accept yourself, flaws and all – simply focus on your positive attributes and achievements.
- Practice resilience – failure are positive experiences as long as you learned from it. Don’t be scared to fail. Failure is inevitable. It’s what you turn it into which matters. Don’t dwell, learn and move on.
- Practice mindfulness – only focus on things you can control.