WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Yes… Fried food can taste this fresh!!!
- With 586 calories per serving, this Middle Eastern style dish packs a punch.
Inspired by the Middle Eastern bakery, located in downtown West Palm Beach near my office, this vegetarian recipe brings about a freshness which will have you coming back for more. Made with chickpeas, garlic, and a mixture of spices, this recipe will hit all your flavor palettes while keeping your daily nutritional values in check.
Let’s fry up some balls!
For Cucumber Sauce
- 6 ounces of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber – peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 head of lettuce
Peel cumber and finally chop for sauce. Drain the garbanzo beans. Chop the onion and garlic cloves. Slice the tomatoes and halve.
1. Add the yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, and pepper into a small bowl and mix well. Place bowl in refrigerator and let chill for 30 minutes.
2. Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and mash to a thick and pasty consistency. Add the onion, parsley, and garlic into a blender, and blend. Add the blended ingredients to the chickpea mash and stir thoroughly together.
3. Now add the egg, olive oil, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder to a small bowl. Mix contents well. Add contents to chickpea mixture, and slowly add bread crumbs. Continue mixing until the falafel mixture is not sticky and will hold together. Add more or less bread crumbs as needed. Form the mixture into 8 even balls.
4. Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the balls on each side until golden brown.
5. Place lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes on plate. Add two falafels and drizzle chilled cumber sauce over the falafels, lettuce, and tomatoes.