Photo Credit: wrappingup.com
While this post isn’t technically “fitness” related, it’s a very serious topic that many people can relate to.
Plus it’s so Get HEALTHY… and it’s so serious.
Good health is the most important aspect of our lives and unfortunately, that sweet gift is taken away for many when they get the devastating diagnosis of cancer.
So, when Heather Von St. James reached out to me to help spread the word of the preventable cancerous disease, mesothelioma, I felt compelled to share her story.
Being that today is Mesothelioma Awareness Day, it felt appropriate to post this TODAY.
What is Mesothelioma?
Here are a few facts:
• Mesothelioma stems from asbestos which “is a naturally occurring mineral that is classified as a known human carcinogen”
• 30,000,000 (30 million) pounds of asbestos are still being used in the U.S. today (found in some homes, schools, and commercial/industrial buildings).
• Asbestos still remains the #1 cause of occupational cancer in the United States.
• Mesothelioma attacks the lining of the body cavity called the mesothelium.
• Can sit dormant in the body for 20-50 years after exposure to asbestos.
Heather, who was essentially given 15 months to live after her diagnosis at the age of 36, fought this disease with the care and support of her husband, a great doctor, and the willingness and drive to LIVE for her newborn daughter (who was only 3 months old when Heather was diagnosed!).
Today, 8 years after battling mesothelioma, Heather is spreading the word on this aggressive disease with the hopes of creating more awareness.
Here’s her story (please share!):
Like any preventable disease, the earlier the detection the better the chances of survival. Get informed, friends, and help spread the word.
Have an excellent Friday, and STAY HEALTHY!