Photo Credit: jessnoms.com
People often come to me with the same question.
Do you ever cheat on your diet?
They look at my covered physique and well-lit Facebook pictures and they assume that I’m anti-indulgence, or that my sweet tooth doesn’t work against me like theirs does.
Well, here’s the truth:
I LOVE SWEETS. Chocolate to be exact.
I could eat it daily… sometimes I do.
There there are times when eating out disagrees with my fitness aspirations.
When it’s time to really get focused and put the cookies away, I don’t abandon the sweets, I simply make them myself.
Follow along as I share with you my absolute favorite contest prep dessert.
This recipe will get you through some of the toughest of days. Trust me when I say, you’ll be licking the plate, or in this case, the bowl.
Sweet Potato Mug Cake
- 1 tbsp. egg substitute (I used ground flax seeds)
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. mashed cooked sweet potatoes (or sweet potato baby food)
- 2 tbsp. soy, rice, or almond milk
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 7 tbsp. self-rising flour
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 tbsp. toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- In a large mug, whisk together the egg substitute and water with a fork and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in the sweet potato, soy milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the flour, salt, and spices.
- Beat it (careful…) until smooth.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Divide the batter between two mugs.
- Microwave separately for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes each until risen and firm.
These babies are quick and tasty!
For an even healthier snack, leave out the vanilla extract, brown sugar and almond milk.
I typically use my protein powder and that provides ample flavor.
Tune in next time.
You never know what The Muscle Chef is cooking!
PS- Here’s an AWESOME Cookbook of DESSERTS that are Paleo/clean eating: